Wednesday 7 July 2010

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Rolling Review

As you may know I normally don't offer any form of review on a game I'm playing until I've finished it. That way I have plenty of time to form my opinions and review the game as a whole. Today I'm breaking that mold in response to Eurogamer's review of Sniper: Ghost Warrior on Xbox360. They gave it 2/10. Atrocious according to their scoring policy. Well I'm not sure they played the same game I am.
Now S:GW is by no means a AAA title City Interactive aren't a massive developer with massive budgets and any gamer who hasn't come to own the game through gifting or blind chance will know that the game they are buying will not be perfect. That said S:GW does deliver on it's most important feature. Yup you guessed it: sniping. More importantly sniping with all those real extras that most games leave out, such as wind and rain effecting the bullet's flight, bullet drop, heart rate and breathing. Run to cover and stand while trying to aim and your character will heave and pant and wave the barrel of his rifle around like a raver with a glow stick. But if you sneak and crawl on your belly to a good vantage point and hold your breath (by pressing LS) and you'll get a nice steady shot. If you are good enough to put that shot into your enemies head you'll be rewarded with a slow mo replay of the flight of your shot from barrel to brains for your trouble.
Graphically S:GW is clearly not up to the standards of the like of COD or GearsOW2 (GOW could be God of War or Gears) but I haven't felt they hindered gameplay. The environments are as believable and immersive as those of Far Cry Instincts: Predator and are somewhat reminiscent of them too. The weapons available all feel more believable than any Halo has to offer but do lack the punch of those in COD. The sound is fine, the voice acting is ok although limited to repeating the same few phrase for the most part and the controls are instantly familiar to anyone who's played Borderlands. So far there's nothing broken or atrocious anywhere to be found.
So long as you treat the game correctly, that's as a stealth sniping game where you're not meant to run and gun like John Rambo in a deathmatch, it will treat you to some glorious head bursting fun. If you want to play Halo or COD, play Halo or COD. I'll continue my analysis and give a full review as I go but my advice would be if you like sniping and can pick it up for £20 or less you'll have fun. I doubt S:GW will change your life but who cares? It's a game, it's enjoyable and it's ok.
Based on what I've seen 6/10.
cheers,
R.

For fairness Eurogamer's review is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment