Monday 19 July 2010

Music Monday - Week 5

I was struggling to find an act for week 5. When I started my installments of Music Monday I wanted to give shout outs to great bands you probably don't know, trouble is I'm not exactly at the cutting edge anymore. Most bands these days are more fussed about their pointy shoe, skinny jean, perfectly coiffed appearances than making music that still works without a laptop and more delay than a shitty rail company on a rainy day. So while I was trawling through the unsigned bands I befriended on myspace back when it was cool I realised all the good bands have split or made it big enough to be wasted on Music Monday. Then, while I was losing heart, I found, by way of Kerrang!, The Pretty Reckless.

 The first track I heard raised a wicked smile from the corners of my mouth. There's a playfully dirty voice that emanates from the dangerously beautiful Taylor Momsen who sounds more mature and worldly at her unbelievably young age of 16 than almost any other female vocalist I can think of on the young side of 30. Make Me Wanna Die featured on the Kick Ass soundtrack and just forces you to nod your head to it's infectious pulse just like the best sleazy rock should. Sleazy rock from a sixteen year old?! I'm avoiding making comparisons to Courtney Love but if Ms Love fronted Evanescence with Jack White on guitar you might come close to The Pretty Reckless. Their new EP is available at itunes and amazon (no I'm not posting links find them yourself) so surf across and purchase it now.

http://www.myspace.com/theprettyreckless
http://www.theprettyreckless.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment