Monday 21 June 2010

It's not just cinema....

...where it's the experience that counts. Today I had run out of squash. Considering how warm it is the lack of orange flavour beverage is an inconvenience sufficient to make me go and get more. So far so pointless. But in getting ready to go out I realised there's been something missing in my life for more than a year now, something that is most definitely one of the simple pleasures of life. In my usual ritual as I left the house I picked up my wallet and keys and pressed play on my phone's mp3 player. 'To Die For' by Hell is for Heroes started to play and swept me back to a memory of the day I'd bought the album, taken it home and slotted the cd into my stereo.
Now we all know how vinyl sounds better but I found my self missing something more than the crystal clear sounds that cheap headphones and low quality mp3 rips can't provide. I miss the very ritual of selecting a cd, lifting open the jewel case and placing the disc into the waiting mouth of my stereo. Playing music from a physical format, whether cd, vinyl or tape, provides an experience that only enhances the wondrous sounds that emanate from the speakers. Just like going to a cinema, paying ridiculous amounts for stale popcorn and choosing your favourite seat add to watching a movie no amount of clicking play on a mp3 player or on a media player will ever replicate that lovely mini ritual of using a physical cd, lowering the needle onto LP or the satisfying clunk click of pressing play on a tape deck.
cheers,
R.

No comments:

Post a Comment